BIODEGRADABLE MARDI GRAS BEADS
On March 1st, 2000, Marcus Ciko had a concept for both “3-D” Mardi Gras beads and beads made out of other plastics and materials. Formal research and development on BioBeads did not begin in earnest until March 2010. The BioBeads formula was settled upon in January 2019 after almost 10 years of research and development. 21 unique BioBeads prototype necklaces were made between June 15 and September 21, 2019. The BioBeads factory is scheduled to be operational in the New Orleans area by 2021.
Manufactured with 100% biodegradable, 100% recyclable, and 100% non-toxic materials, BioBeads are revolutionary new biodegradable Mardi Gras beads that address five key problems with traditional beads:
1. BioBeads will biodegrade within five years as opposed to current photo-degradable beads which require sunlight and never biodegrade into base elements.
2. BioBeads do not contain any lead, phthalates, heavy metals, or other toxic chemicals unlike current beads that contain 29,000 parts per million lead content as well as cadmium and other toxic materials.
3. BioBeads will be manufactured in an exclusive, new custom facility in the New Orleans area as opposed to importing from China.
4. BioBeads made in New Orleans will match or beat current Chinese bead costs.
5. BioBeads have a signature look without the use of lead-based paint used in imported beads.
BioBeads do not ever create microplastics and can be recycled into future BioBeads.